Summertime is when many Madison homeowners turn their attention to exterior home-maintenance projects: new replacement windows being prominent among them. And so work schedules for reputable Madison replacement window contractors fill up fast. And therein lies a danger, because the temporary shortfall provides ad hoc opportunities for marginal operators and fly-by-night companies.
In desperation to get on someone—anyone’s—schedule, you might be tempted to advance 50 percent to some Dane County replacement window contractor that you’ve never heard of. And you really don’t want to do that. Why?
- Choosing a replacement window installer is nothing like choosing a plumber or electrician, where testing and licensure can ensure a minimal level of competence. Anyone can declare himself a replacement window installer today and be at your home tomorrow doing passable work…or expensive damage.
- The category of “remodeling contractors,” among them replacement window installers, leads all others in the numbers of complaints to public and private consumer guardians. Your best assurance against fraud and/or incompetence is not what contractors tell you about their qualities—but what they can document.
Those six questions:
There are minimally six important questions you should ask any Madison replacement window installer before hiring one. If it’s a reputable company, their representative will not only have the answers to these questions, but proof for each.
- How long have you been in business under the same name?
- How many projects have you completed in that time?
- Do you have a list of references from which I can randomly call?
- To what trade, professional, and business organizations do you belong?
- Are you fully bonded and insured?
- Can you show me independent surveys about your rate of customer satisfaction?
Did you know?
Genesis Exteriors craftsmen have been providing quality remodeling services to Dane County and South Central Wisconsin homeowners and businesses since 2004, having completed well over 1000 exterior remodeling projects in the last six years alone: roofs, siding, windows, doors, and gutters.
Our crew supervisors have a minimum of 15 years experience each. In addition we are:
- Licensed, bonded, and insured in the State of Wisconsin
- Recipient of the Angie’s List® Super Service Award in 2012, 2011, and 2010
- Registered in Wisconsin under the S & B Building Contractor Program, which ensures that all work completed at your home or business will meet the latest state codes and building requirements (registration #10657 d.b.a. Everyday Interiors)
- As well, we maintain a list of 75+ references whom you can call with specific questions about our principles, practices, and workmanship.
Genesis Exteriors Quality Control
Genesis Exteriors employs a fulltime Quality Control Supervisor whose primary job is to ensure that any roofing, siding, window, door, or gutter installation project they complete meets a strict set of written standards that are explained to you in advance of your contract. Such standards include but are not limited to:
- Precision Estimates. A Genesis estimator will provide you with a written, guaranteed, fixed-price proposal that includes a detailed breakdown of the recommended work. In the case of roofing, he will climb onto your roof to measure it accurately and closely inspect it.
- Photographic verification before the sale. Genesis Exteriors will provide digital photos of your existing roof, siding, windows, doors, or gutters to document the reasons for all recommended work.
- Photographic verification after the sale. Genesis Exteriors will provide digital photos of any work the company completes that is not plainly evident. For example, if it’s determined during the course of a roofing installation that certain pieces of plywood substrate need to be replaced before shingles can be correctly applied, you will be provided with photos to verify that such additional work was indeed necessary and properly completed.
- 29-Point Inspection. At the conclusion of work at your home or business, you and a Genesis Exteriors Quality-Control Supervisor will complete a 29-point checklist to ensure to your mutual satisfaction that your project is completed satisfactorily.
- Free 10-year warranty. In addition to the manufacturer’s warranty on materials, Genesis Exteriors offers a free 10-year warranty on labor and installation, meaning you assume no risk for any failure of materials or workmanship for the duration of the manufacturer’s warranty.